Monday, May 4, 2009

Week 5, Thing #12 - Roll your Own

No, this isn't about keeping Sonoma Valley HIGH - it's about search engines. I guess. Although for the life of me, I'm not really sure why this site has value. I am having a difficult time navigating through it. I created a mini-search engine, called it J5 Math Resources, but I don't see it unless I am logged in. After going through this site about 5 times, I finally discovered hundreds of other people with search engines, but wasn't able to access them. Could well be they are not open to the public - you have that option when you create a search roll. Oh, by the way, the site is called Rollyo, and it has limited options if you don't have an account. I could see using this for a project or for students to access, but would they need an account to see my search engine? I'm still working on this one - if anyone out there has other experiences or can clue me in to the usefulness of this tool, I would be grateful. I can see it may have potential - but it's difficult to navigate.

I know one thing that would be good to do before you create your mini-engine: have your list of URL's in one spot and ready to copy and paste - I can't tell you how many times I accidentally navigated away from Rollyo, only to find that my partially created, unsaved list was gone!!

Good luck, give me some feedback, I'd love to come back to this, but for now, I'm moving on to thing #13.

Classroom 2.0 - the 23 things

No comments:

Post a Comment